Illinois People’s Action seeks to build a powerful, broad based, multi-issue community organization that is capable of addressing social, environmental and economic concerns and make necessary changes to improve the quality of life for all people. Initiated from within the religious community and continuing to draw on shared spiritual and moral values, the proposed community organization welcomes racial, religious, ethnic and economic diversity in its membership. The organization will be a vehicle for people to fully participate in decision-making processes on issues that affect their lives, families and communities.
We, the members of ____________________, enter into a Covenant with Illinois People’s Action for the purpose of creating a broad-based, multi-issue community organization. Based on our common spiritual and moral values, we agree to support this venture by working with other member congregations and groups to bring about necessary changes on important community concerns that affect our community and region. Specifically, we will:
- Form a leadership team in our congregation or group to engage in a listening campaign to learn the community concerns from our members and neighbors, and to identify people who will work on these issues.
- Involve a broad cross section of our congregation or group in a process of investigation, education, leadership training and active involvement in the issues that most affect them and the community/region.
- Select a minimum of 2 of our members to serve as representatives to our local IPA chapter.
- Pay $300 in annual dues with the understanding that groups with greater financial capacity are encouraged to contribute at a higher level. Membership fee may be paid over time. A $100 introductory fee is valid for 3 months (applicable toward annual dues) without voting benefits
- Support the efforts of each of the other member congregations and groups on issues that affect the quality of their lives, and work with them on issues of common concern.